Family

Family

Pages

Children of the Promise has given explicit permission for the posting of photos on this site. Photos taken of children in the care of Children of the Promise are not to be posted publicly without explicit permission given by Children of the Promise

Monday, August 4, 2014

The Calling


I’m the kind of guy that likes a good comfy routine, and I have never been a huge fan of change!  Amy and I have been living in the same house we bought when we were 20, and I have held the same job for the last decade.  Life was good and comfortable.  However, last fall the word “transition” was given to me while standing in our church.  I figured God was telling me we would be moving.  Maybe a different house, different school for the kids, or something like that.  Ironically, I had peace with that figuring this “transition” would be something local.  
In September a friend called me proposing a week long trip to Children of the Promise,  an orphanage outside of Cap-Haitian, in northern Haiti. They were looking for someone to help with equipment and mechanical repairs. I immediately agreed, but then began to struggle with doubts as many different challenges and obstacles started to appear.  Thankfully, a month before we left, the Holy Spirit reassured me that it was not about simple repairs.  There was a much greater purpose for this trip, and I needed to cast aside my worry and have peace in what was to come.  I would have to surrender my comfy routine and bow to this calling of something more.  
On the flight down to Haiti, my eardrums ruptured and I experienced complete hearing loss for 5 days.  The deafness changed my perspective very quickly; only having my sight and a voice in my head.  I heard God telling me “Look…look around you and see how possible this is!”  God was showing me that moving my wife and four daughters to Haiti was a real possibility.  I wrestled with this “crazy” idea that I couldn’t shake until I could no longer ignore the calling.
Feeling slightly nuts, I sent an email to the directors of Children of the Promise.  I explained to them that I was feeling called to move my family to Haiti, and specifically to a position that was already filled!  They were polite enough to say they didn’t think I was crazy and recommended we pray, wait, and see if God would open doors. 
GOD THREW OPEN THE DOORS AND HAS NOT STOPPED! 
The position I felt called to is opening up.  Our unique skill set is a perfect fit.  I will be responsible for all facility, equipment, and vehicle maintenance and repairs.  I will also manage all in-country transportation and supplies for the 15 acre compound.  Besides being an amazing mother of 4, Amy will put together a preschool for all the international staff children.  Our work will directly affect the 40+ kids here, the 43 daily Haitian staff, 36 international staff and kids for a grand total of about 120!  Add the numerous people that come to the gate every day,  the 300+ volunteers each year, and 350 children who attend school on the grounds COTP is a small city that we will be tasked with keeping up and running!  

God has a plan for the Doorlag family.  We are being Called Out to Haiti.  We have laid our comfy routine on the altar and are trusting that His plans are greater than ours.  We believe God is doing something great in our lives and we humbly ask for your support in this journey.  

3 comments:

  1. God bless you, Amy and the kids as you embark on this amazing new chapter in your lives. What an amazing gift to be able to change the lives of others! While we haven’t been great about keeping in touch over the years, I have enjoyed watching (via Facebook) your family grow and watching you all grow in your faith. Kent and I would love to support you as you embark on this exciting journey of service. Love and blessings to you all! You are in our prayers!

    Valerie Vander Wal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely Beautiful Family! Will be happy to support & visit you whenever possible. Looking forward to seeing you all grow in the faith & knowledge that you are seeking in this adventure for the Children & Ministry! LOVE YOU ALL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. God bless you and your family!

    ReplyDelete